Blog

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Poetry Retreat with Rebecca Kai Dotlich

It was a lovely, jam-packed, exhausting weekend. I felt like I was trying to soak up a lifetime of poetry from the very generous, Rebecca Kai Dotlich.

My very excited friend, Kathy (left) who's new to children's writing, rode up with me to the retreat and kept me from getting lost. Well, almost. We did fine until the very last turn. But what's a road trip without a little adventure? And I was thrilled to have some long conversations with poet and friend, Irene Latham.

My roommade extraordinaire, Gail Karwoski (in blue)! We won't talk about the mice we shared our space with. Mice are some of my favorite characters in children's literature. Ralph on his motorcycle. Reepicheep. Bella and Bean. All delightful until they inhabit the real world of your bathroom.


The intimate setting, about twenty writers ensconced on the side of a mountain in north Georgia, gave us plenty of opportunities to rub elbows with Rebecca. I'm just hoping some of that lyrical magic rubbed off on me.


And of course, blowing bubbles is necessary for writing poetry!

5 comments:

  1. Doraine, I LOVE the pic of you blowing those bubbles! And hey you don't need that lyricism to rub off on you -- you generate your own. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Irene. You are a jewel. I did love blowing those bubbles. I think I need to buy myself some to keep on my deck at home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a delightful workshop! And having wonderful writers like Irene, Gail, Jo K. aound you can be so inspiring!
    I'm preparing for Chautauqua and getting very excited!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the wonderful write-up, Doraine! And for being the bookstore goddess for the weekend. You helped make it a success!

    ReplyDelete