Blog

Friday, February 25, 2011

Poetry Friday: Everyone Sang

We have had a beautiful week in the Deep South. The daffodils and the phlox are blooming. My husband and I sat on the deck for breakfast and listened to the birds. I have a mockingbird who does a perfect imitation of the unlock signal on my car. The trees are still bare, but before long they will be bursting with every color of green in the biggest box of crayons you can buy. It's a bit early for 70 degree temperatures, and may bode a hot summer, but today it makes me want to sing.

I hope you enjoy this gorgeous day. Sarah is hosting more Poetry Friday over at Read Write Believe.

Everyone Sang
by Siegfried Sassoon

Everyone suddenly burst out singing:
And I was filled with such delight
As prisoned birds must find in freedom
Winging wildly across the white
Orchards and dark-green fields; on; on; and out of sight.

Everyone's voice was suddenly lifted,
And beauty came like the setting sun.
My heart was shaken with tears; and horror
Drifted away . . . O but every one
Was a bird; and the song was wordless; the singing
will never be done.


5 comments:

  1. It is beautiful, isn't it? Thanks for stopping in Toby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's fabulous. I've never heard it before. Thank you for the singing today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have always liked that poem. Wasn't he a soldier who wrote it about the end of World War I?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sara, I hope it put a song in your heart!

    Tabatha, yes, he was a poet during World War I. He hated war and wrote some quite good war poems, but he also returned to the war and continued to fight. Interesting fellow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Still waiting (through monsoon rains) in OH for the spring you're having!

    ReplyDelete